The Royal Waggon Corps (1799)
By 1797 only Britain and Portugal stood against the French. When a small French force landed in South Wales, it was rounded up by a local volunteer force, the Pembroke Yeomanry. This engagement is commemorated by the only battle honour awarded for action against a foreign enemy on the British mainland. Bestowed on the Pembroke Yeomanry by Queen Victoria in 1853, the inscription 'Fishguard' was later worn on the collar badges of 'A' (Pembroke Yeomanry) Troop, 224 (West Wales) Squadron, Royal Corps of Transport, the successors of that original Yeomanry.
In August 1799, the British mounted an expedition to North Holland in an effort to break the French hold on the strategically important Scheldt estuary. Another attempt was made to create a Corps of Waggoners to support this expedition. An estabilishment of five companies was sanctioned. The first depot was at Bromley, later at Croydon and the Corps served at Windsor, Canterbury, Eltham, Ramsgate and East Ham.
There was some difficulty on deciding on a title for the new Corps. The title was variously given as 'The Royal Waggon Corps', 'Corps of Waggoners' or 'Corps of Royal Waggoners'. In the Army List corrected to 1 September 1799 the title appears as 'Royal Waggon Corps'. By August 1802, the name 'Royal Waggon Train' was settled on and from June, 1803, the Corps ranked as a mounted corps after the 29th Dragoons.